The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) has adopted several manual classification changes made effective July 1, 2011. The object of manual classification codes is to assign the code that best describes your business. Within the next few weeks BWC will send out letters to employers affected by these changes.
Some new classification codes have been added, other codes have been reclassified to another code and many classifications have changes in the wording, describing the operations. Below is a list of some of the changes.
New Manual Classification Codes
- 2797 – Manufactured, modular or pre-fabricated home manufacturing – shop work – all operations and drivers.
- 2799 – Manufactured, modular or pre-fabricated home setup, hook up, or installation at building site.
- 4109 – Integrated Circuit manufacturing. – Replaces 4150 – Optical Goods manufacturing.
- 4110 – Electric Bulb manufacturing. – Replaces 4112 – Incandescent lamp manufacturing.
- 4149 – Optical goods manufacturing. NOC – Replaces 4150 – Optical goods manufacturing.
- 6503 – Potato chip, popcorn and snack chip manufacturing. Previously reported under 6504 – Food sundries manufacturing.
- 8037 – Store – Superstore and warehouse clubs.
Reclassification of Codes
- Combine Manual 2001 – Cracker manufacturing into revised Manual 2003 – bakery – salespersons and drivers.
- Combine Manual 2812 – Cabinet works- with power machinery into revised Manual 2883 – Furniture manufacturing and cabinet shop – wood- NOC includes assembling and finishing.
- Combine Manual 4362 – Motion picture: film exchange and projections rooms, clerical to the revised Manual 4360 Motion picture- development of negative, printing and all subsequent operations.
- Combine Manual 4561 – Varnish manufacturing into the revised Manual 4439 – lacquer or spirit varnish
- Combine Manual 5651 Carpentry- dwelling – three stories or less into revised Manual 5645 – carpentry – detached one or two family dwellings.
- Combine Manuals 7601, 7611, 7612 and 7613 – Telephone, cable TV contractors or construction- into revised Manual 7600 – Telecommunications company – cable TV or satellite – all other employees and drivers.
These changes will first appear on your July 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011 payroll report, that employers will receive in late December 2011.
If you have any questions regarding manual classifications, please contact CareWorks Consultants’ Tammy Bowersmith at 800-837-3200, ext. 7247.